The Worship Program
Seventh-day Adventists choose to worship God because we believe He is our Creator who deserves praise and honour. Exodus 20:11 says “in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.”
We believe that Saturday is a special day set aside for humanity, since the beginning of the world, to spend time worshipping and honouring God. We can worship God in many different ways. It can be through Bible study, prayer and singing praises to Him. We can do this at a personal level or meet together with fellow believers.
We invite you to join us on Saturday morning to praise God and to learn more about Him. You are welcome to sit anywhere during the worship program – there are no set seats – and we don’t have a ‘dress code’ either. If you’re comfortable, we’re happy!
We have two worship programs each Saturday. A small group Bible study which we call Sabbath School and the Main Service where everyone meets together. In both our services we sing, pray to God and collect an offering. However, we emphasise that there is no obligation for you to give an offering if you don’t want to. The program is our gift to God and to you – we don’t expect anything in return.
Small Group Bible Study
Adult Sabbath school classes starts at 9.30am till 10.30am. It’s a time where we can discuss the teachings of the Bible and socialise with each other. I
Children’s Sabbath School starts 9.30am – 10.30am. Your kids will be kept busy with songs, crafts, quizzes, games and Bible stories. We conduct activities for age groups, such as
- Teens (ages 10-16)
- Junior (ages 10-13)
- Primary (ages 6-9)
Outlined below is a typical Sabbath school program for the adults –
- Special Item – this can be a number of things, such as discussions on a particular current & relevant news story of the day; testimonies; musical item or even a drama performance on an aspect or story in the Bible; quizzes.
- Offering – Adventists collect an offering in Sabbath school to support the mission project.
- Lesson Study – At this point everyone breaks into small groups to study the Bible. You can choose which group you want to attend. The duration of the lesson study is about 30-40 minutes. During this time, Adventists study the Bible using the Sabbath school lesson as a guide. The Sabbath school lesson is a Bible-study guide produced every three months by the worldwide church’s Sabbath School Department. People are encouraged to study the lesson throughout the week and, during Sabbath school, discuss what it is teaching and have the opportunity to share how it has made an impact on them.
Main Church Service
The church service starts at 11.00am on Saturday. It is a time where we can unite together, gather strength from the Word of God and learn more about God.
Following is an example of a typical weekly church services –
- Song Service – singing of contemporary Christian songs or hymns and praises to God.
- Offering – for local running costs or mission projects.
- Children’s Story – a short story is told to teach the Children about an aspect of the Bible.
- Special Item – This can be a musical item or even a drama performance on an aspect or story in the Bible.
- Scripture Reading – a passage of the Bible is read that is relevant to the sermon
- The message – The local pastor or a guest speaker will share a message with the congregation on God’s Word
- Benediction – the preacher closes the service with prayer.
- Lunch – some weeks our church has a free lunch (yes, there is such a thing!) so you can meet new people or catch up with friends.
The Outreach Program
Seventh-day Adventists choose to reach out to people just as Jesus, our great example, did.
At Ferntree Gully we have an active ADRA (Adventist Development and Relief Agency) program assisting the local community with food parcels and clothing.
- September 2023
- August 2023
- July 2023
- August 2022
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
- November 2020
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- February 2020
- October 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- December 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- May 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016